Interview with Mr. Komaya Yousuke, the owner of Cafemocha.
How did you name this shop?
- Simply because I like drinking caffè mocha and it is delicious. When this shop was just opened, there were only 2 items on the menu, coffee or mocha.
Why did you open this shop?
It's all about water. Kyogoku Yotei Spring water was my main reason to open this shop. Kyogoku Yotei Spring water is the first on the list of the Japan's Top 100 Famous Sources of Spring Water. Any food or drinks that made with the spring water taste amazing.
Back in the time, all coffee was just made inside the factory with tap water. So I started to think what if I could roast and brew the coffee with the Spring Water? And it tastes very good.
- Originally from Otaru, my parents started a factory around this area 20 years ago. Since then I’ve moved here and started my family. And the spring water is also another reason to be here.
How long have you been running this shop?
- 8 years.
Do you ski or snowboard?
- My dad was a ski patrol, because of that he always brought me up to the mountain since young. But it didn’t make me a good skier, instead I was terrified and ended up didn’t ski much. However, I have 4 children and all of them like skiing. The schools within this area teach the student skiing during their PE class.
Where is your favorite area for ski or snowboard?
- I don’t, but my kids always go to a ski slope in the town and its free! Haha!
What do you like about this area?
- Kyogoku Yotei spring water!
How do you roast your coffee?
- At our own factory around the area, with Kyogoku Yotei spring water. We can also custom roast the coffee with different level and temperature based on the request of our customers.
EpilogueKyōgoku (京極) is a town located in Hokkaido, Japan. Only 20 minutes drive from the famous ski town Hirafu Niseko. Cafe mocha is located inside the Fukidashi Park, sits at the eastern foot of Mount Yōtei. The first time when I visited Cafe mocha was in late February, part of the park was still temporarily closed due to the heavy snow. I tried the spring water and it was so refreshing that I had to run back to my car and get a 1L bottle to fill it up. (Yes, everyone is doing it here, even the locals would drive to here with a dozen of empty bottles.) Just before I leave, I saw this little coffee shop, right next to the parking lot so I decided to get a cup of drip coffee to warm up my body. That's how I found this hidden gem :) !
Cafe mocha @ Kyogoku
Japan, 〒044-0131 Hokkaidō, Abuta-gun, Kyōgoku-chō, Kawanishi
10AM ~ 4PM